Accused molester laughs at child's account

Scammer

Banned
A Quebec man accused of molesting three girls at his wife's daycare on Montreal's west island laughed out loud when a video interview with one of his alleged victims was played at his trial on Monday.

The girl, who was five years old at the time of the alleged attacks, said she couldn't remember how many times William Parsons, 70, sexually assaulted her in the taped interview with a police officer.

Montreal police arrested Parsons in spring 2008 after the parents of one of the girls complained.

He is charged with two counts of sexual touching and invitation to sexual touching for each of the three girls, for a total of nine counts.

Parsons entered the courtroom Monday wearing a jacket and tie, and a pink breast cancer awareness ribbon.

The alleged crimes occurred at a daycare in his Dollard des Ormeaux home that his wife operated between September 2007 and April 2008.

Parsons' wife closed the daycare after her husband was charged.

In the video, the girl tells the officer the alleged attacks would take place while the television was on and other children were in the room. She said Parsons' wife would be off preparing snacks for the children.

The girl said she would sit on Parsons' lap, facing him, in an old rocking chair, and he would touch her sexually and ask her to do the same to him.

It was at that point during the girl's interview that Parsons began to laugh.
Laughter enrages father

The father of the girl told reporters Parsons' laughter made him want to punch him in the head.

"That just shows his ignorance and his arrogance with this whole system and what he's put us through," said the man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his daughter.

He went on to say he still feels guilt about sending his daughter to the daycare even though his wife had misgivings about it.

"I kind of threw it off. I was like it's OK, it's OK. We need a daycare ... it's great, it's old people you know," he told reporters. "We did not do our job, we didn't ask questions."

The father said his daughter is now doing well.

"She's very cheerful ... she's not depressed," he said. "I'm not going to speak for the other children. That's the parents discretion of speaking about their own kids, but my kid, she's doing great."

He said he hopes Parsons, 70, is convicted and gets a long sentence.

The trial in Quebec Superior Court is expected to last five days.