Artist Makes Giant Bottles From Plastic Debris

FTA Hacker

Artist Makes Giant Bottles From Plastic Debris

Richard James doesn’t want his first work as an artist to be appreciated, admired or even enjoyed. What the Inverness resident hopes is that those who see the five, 8-foot-high bottles he’s placed at the intersection of the Point Reyes-Petaluma Road and Highway 1 will be disgusted — and maybe a little ashamed. The bottles, which formerly filled a barn at the national seashore, are just a small portion of the detritus. James regularly hauls from the Point Reyes shores. He’s hoping their presence along the highway will make viewers think about the things they buy — items that, all too often, end up in the ocean. “These bottles are so big that it’s like putting a magnifying glass on the problem,” said James, 48. “All of a sudden, the problem is in your face and you’re thinking, ‘That looks crappy. I’m going to do something about it.’ James has been wandering — and volunteering — on the beaches of the national seashore since 2004, when the former IT consultant answered an online ad to help install erosion controls on the banks of Drakes Estero. “I was really into fish. That’s what brought me up here,” said James, who took part in volunteer monitoring of the annual coho salmon and steelhead migration.