IMnobody

Wfemu - A "Linux" dongle emulator app, for Viewsat

Wfemu - is a "Linux" dongle emulator application, originally developed for the Viewsat Ultra, to replace the "Weather Forecaster", allowing users access to other "Private CS/IKS sites" that are available (bring you own access). It requires a PC, running Linux, with serial and Lan access, of at least 1Ghz in speed.

The task and PC are dedicated while it is operating. It can be run on a Windows PC, but, it must be booted up into a Linux OS.
Also note, it can be run using a "Live Linux CD",
or, a flashdrive, if the PC is capable of booting from that method.

The software package is comprised of two components WFemu & RQ-sssp-client.
which are started (in that order) manually in terminal mode on the PC (sorry no automated scripts yet). Wfemu to handle the serial connection between the Receiver and the PC, while RQ-sssp-client and it's .conf file, hold the CS/IKS sites, IP, password, and, other information for the internet connection. The two applications share the information between themselves, to the receiver and the internet connection.

Pay close attention to the receiver text regarding it's set-up, you do a factory clean and back down the receiver, the order of the files re-installed is critical to success.

Though originally designed for Viewsat, the application should lend itself to other receiver brands

Attached: Should be all you need, including text files, to start testing.
All files submitted for testing, are use at your own risk.

enjoy
IM

Attachments

• WF_RQ_txt.rar
    2.7 MB · Views: 370
Last edited:

ETT

What files would one need for the VS 9000 V2? Also how do I go about getting the codes for the servers? I have been doing some research and I think that there is a free one and a pay one. All i am looking for is NESN.

Also i heard that you can set up Ubuntu on the wii and use it as the Linux OS. Is this information correct?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions...

gopalmm2

NFPS can work with this. Can you connect the wii to the voewsat via a serial cable? Also, can the wii send serial data as a port out? Can the wii run the wfemu? Try checking all these... if so, it may work.

ETT

gopalmm2,

Thanks for the quick reply. The wii does have a usb port and the viewsat does have the serial cable. So in theory if the wii can run a linux OS system i am thinking that it will work. I have seen the wii on youtube running Ubuntu, but I am skeptical to try it as I do not want to mess up my systems. I could use the computers, but they are a good 50+ feet away. Hmmm. I am not sure how to go about this... Can i run a 50+ foot null to usb cable? Is there such a beast?

gopalmm2

Oh, sorry, viewsat uses NULL? Remember that NULL and straight through serial are different, so you need a usb to null cable for it.
That might actually work though, but you have to get linux OS running on Wii.
There's another untested option, and I'm not sure, but it might work.
Ever seen those USB via wireless connectors on ebay for 2 bucks or so?
One USB of the wireless bluetooth connected from the PC - to the other end close to the receiver. This is then connected to a USB connector then a usb to null goes from there to the receiver..
This is only an untested idea though...

ETT

I do have the null with the male connector for USB conversion as my computer needed it to load my platinum. I have had that for a while as my computer did not have the null connector. I know that the wii and the VS will hook up, but am not sure if they will communicate with one another. Well I guess that the only way to test it is to give it a try. I will wait for some more posts as I am sure someone out there has tried it.

The VS 9000 does load traditionally through USB, but can be loaded via null. My big question you have already answered, but to hook it all up to the Linux OS is what is making my head hurt. LOL

Thanks gopalmm2.

Greatly appreciated!

gopalmm2

No probs. LOL, but this might work. Running the RQ on the wii won't be a risk, as that is just a program, so the viesat testing won't be harmful. What may possibly be hard is to get the linux OS running on the Wii. Make sure to check a how to if you have it so you don't spoil your wii.

gopalmm2

A regular linux based wireless router (like linksys or broadcom) can be used to run the RQ program internally. I don't see why a wii can't do that.