Does the processer matter, like differences between intel and AMD sempron?

Snizer

Going to buy one of those slims from HP, but it said the processor was AMD Sempron, i have never even heard of that, my computer currently is a Intel Pentium 4. And it works great with me. I dont heavily program, or do anything really techy. But still, should i upgrade it to a higher version of AMD, or just buy the slim that has Intel ( more expensive)? Thanks for all answers!

Commando860

i'd stick with Intel,though its more expensive, research shows it runs cooler, and its more stable than AMD. also if the graphics card is powered by Nvidia (recommended) the best CPU choice would be Intel since they work better together.btw if you weren't aware, you can customize HP laptops at costco.com > computers > laptops > hp store > customize HP laptopsi hope this helps

Sparks

I'd say, since your an average user you won't need intel's heat benefit, and you should stick to amd's cheaper processors. The Semprons are good for running Microsoft's XP or Linux, but get a higher CPU if you want Vista.

yawn36271

most pentium 4s are faster than the semprons. only the latest semprons are a bit faster.any of intel's current market cpus are faster than any sempron.

SiN

actually .. here's the deal .. the AMD Semrpon is a lower end processor, like Intel's Sempron (AMD Athrlon is to Pentium 4 what Semrpon is to Celeron) .. the Pentium 4 is a decent, but out dated, processor .. you're probably going to be hard pressed to find a replacement processor that fits your motherboard .. all processors since the P4 were scaled down .. the Pentium 4 Extreme Ed. I have in my old Gen4 XPS is 90nm while newer Core 2 Duo's/Quads are 45nm (with one Core 2 Quad I found at 65nm) .. so odds are your P4 is 90nm or bigger, and they just don't make 'em that big anymore .. if you wanted an AMD processor, you'd have to replace your motherboard as well because AMD processors won't fit into Intel motherboards .. kinda like the square peg in the circle hole analogy .. either way .. whether you upgrade to intel or AMD you're going to have to replace your motherboard .. It's honestly a toss up between the 2 .. AMD's are great and so are Intel's .. AMD's core architecture seemed to streamline data a little better than Intel's .. honestly, the differences break down to technical specs and the architecture of the chip themselves .. they are both good CPUs .. AMD actually boasts that there processors, rated at lower clock speeds, actually perform as well as higher rated Intel CPU's .. so the choice is yours .. ;]hope this helped!!