Kareem: Magic’s Howard ‘kind of predictable’

CASPER

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—Kareem Abdul-Jabbar doesn’t see much future for Dwight Howard(notes) in all those rim-rocking dunks and power moves from the Orlando Magic center.

The NBA’s career scoring leader would like to see Howard not rely so much on his size and athleticism and make himself a player his team can turn to when it counts. Maybe even throw in a skyhook or two.

“He’s still offensively kind of raw,” Abdul-Jabbar said Wednesday. “He doesn’t have a go-to move yet. Right now, he’s kind of predictable.”

The NBA finals have shown that Howard has a long way to go to be the dominant offensive center the Lakers’ Hall of Famer was. The Magic trail Los Angeles 2-1, with Game 4 on Thursday night.

So far, Howard’s Superman act has mostly been grounded.

“Kareem is right, and he understands that in order to be a good player you have to add different things to your game,” Howard said. “I’ve tried to do the skyhook just like him, but he had more range and more touch. He was shooting skyhooks from the 3-point line, and I’m still working on it from the paint, so I’ve got a long way to go.”