McCain says Palin to play leadership role as ex-Governor

Beware Beware

PreferredByPete.com Enthusiast
McCain says Palin to play leadBy Steve Holland
WASHINGTON - Republican Senator John McCain expressed support for his former presidential running mate, Sarah Palin, on Saturday as Washington speculated about why the Alaska governor abruptly announced her resignation.
McCain made the comment a day after Palin stunned the political world by announcing she is stepping down with 18 months left in her term.
McCain had plucked Palin from obscurity to make her his vice presidential running mate in last year's presidential campaign, won by Democrat Barack Obama.
"I have the greatest respect and affection for Sarah, Todd, and their family. I was deeply honored to have her as my running mate and believe she will continue to play an important leadership role in the Republican Party and our nation," McCain said in a statement e-mailed to Reuters.
But Alaska's Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski issued a statement saying, "I am deeply disappointed that the Governor has decided to abandon the State and her constituents before her term has concluded."
Palin defeated Murkowski's father, then-Governor Frank Murkowski, in the 2006 Republican primary for governor.
A polarizing figure who is mainly popular among conservatives, Palin has often been considered a contender for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012.
Her decision, announced in a rambling, disjointed statement in her home town of Wasilla, Alaska, fueled speculation that she might be seeking to position herself for a run.
But some commentators said it was a strange move for one with presidential ambitions, opening her to potential criticism that she quit her post to pursue a personal agenda.
ETHICS INQUIRIES
In her statement, Palin referred to a series of ethics probes into her conduct as governor and previously as mayor of Wasilla, all of which she said lacked merit.
"My staff and I spend most of our day dealing with this instead of progressing our state now," Palin said. "This isn't what anyone had in mind for Alaska."
Palin's lawyers released a statement on Saturday denying allegations her resignation was linked to a criminal investigation on construction of a sports complex in Wasilla.
"To the extent several websites, most notably liberal Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, are now claiming as 'fact' that Governor Palin resigned because she is 'under federal investigation' for embezzlement or other criminal wrongdoing, we will be exploring legal options this week to address such defamation," lawyer Thomas Van Flein said in the statement.
McCain's statement of support came after some of his political aides from last year's campaign outlined their grievances with her in an article in the current issue of Vanity Fair magazine.

By Steve Holland
WASHINGTON - Republican Senator John McCain expressed support for his former presidential running mate, Sarah Palin, on Saturday as Washington speculated about why the Alaska governor abruptly announced her resignation.
McCain made the comment a day after Palin stunned the political world by announcing she is stepping down with 18 months left in her term.
McCain had plucked Palin from obscurity to make her his vice presidential running mate in last year's presidential campaign, won by Democrat Barack Obama.
"I have the greatest respect and affection for Sarah, Todd, and their family. I was deeply honored to have her as my running mate and believe she will continue to play an important leadership role in the Republican Party and our nation," McCain said in a statement e-mailed to Reuters.
But Alaska's Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski issued a statement saying, "I am deeply disappointed that the Governor has decided to abandon the State and her constituents before her term has concluded."
Palin defeated Murkowski's father, then-Governor Frank Murkowski, in the 2006 Republican primary for governor.
A polarizing figure who is mainly popular among conservatives, Palin has often been considered a contender for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012.
Her decision, announced in a rambling, disjointed statement in her home town of Wasilla, Alaska, fueled speculation that she might be seeking to position herself for a run.
But some commentators said it was a strange move for one with presidential ambitions, opening her to potential criticism that she quit her post to pursue a personal agenda.
ETHICS INQUIRIES
In her statement, Palin referred to a series of ethics probes into her conduct as governor and previously as mayor of Wasilla, all of which she said lacked merit.
"My staff and I spend most of our day dealing with this instead of progressing our state now," Palin said. "This isn't what anyone had in mind for Alaska."
Palin's lawyers released a statement on Saturday denying allegations her resignation was linked to a criminal investigation on construction of a sports complex in Wasilla.
"To the extent several websites, most notably liberal Alaska blogger Shannyn Moore, are now claiming as 'fact' that Governor Palin resigned because she is 'under federal investigation' for embezzlement or other criminal wrongdoing, we will be exploring legal options this week to address such defamation," lawyer Thomas Van Flein said in the statement.
McCain's statement of support came after some of his political aides from last year's campaign outlined their grievances with her in an article in the current issue of Vanity Fair magazine.
ership role as ex-Governor