Mother who says son was bullied seeks Obama's help

Scammer

Banned
story.obama.pa.gi.jpg

The mother of an 11-year-old boy who hanged himself after she said he was bullied at a Georgia school says she will on Friday ask the White House for help in a campaign to end school bullying.

The mother says she wrote a letter to the president and will hold a news conference Friday to ask for help.

Jaheem Herrera was found dead in his closet in April.

His mother, Masika Bermudez, told CNN that the fifth-grader had been complaining about bullying at Dunaire Elementary School in DeKalb County.

Bermudez said that at the time, she did not know that the bullying had gotten so bad.

She said she is reaching out to the president.

"Mr. President bullying is still an issue here in Georgia, and all over the United States. Our children are dying, because they think this is the only way out. I think parents and administrators should be held accountable for the safety problems in the nation's classrooms," Bermudez said she wrote in a letter to President Barack Obama.

She says her son's case helped to get a new anti-bullying law passed in Georgia. The new law, which pushes schools to aggressively investigate bullying incidents and provide counseling to victims, is scheduled to go into effect in 2011.

But Bermudez said more needs to be done.

"No other parent should feel the pain I feel. Mr. President, I need your help," she wrote. "It is my hope that you hear my plea and join the campaign for Justice for Jaheem."