Acid spill closes interstate

Scammer

Banned
58057447-03043809.jpg

[video]http://www.kdvr.com/videobeta/f16b0ed8-98a5-4b79-9bfa-37d2aab3c6aa/News/Acid-spill-shuts-down-I-25[/video]

DENVER -- Denver environmental officials say crews were able to keep highly corrosive sulfuric acid from running into the South Platte River after it leaked from a truck on Interstate 25 last
night.

Crews used a mixture of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid as it flowed into a drain along the road.

I-25 reopened at 6:00 a.m. in the heart of Denver, just in time for the morning commute Friday. It closed Thursday night because of a potentially hazardous acid spill.

Denver Police diverted traffic off of northbound I-25 at University Blvd.

A semi carrying sulfuric acid began leaking, and other motorists noticed and were able to get the driver to stop. She was able to get out of her truck unharmed. This happened at about 7:30 Thursday night.

The driver pulled over onto the right side of the highway at Washington St.

Crews worked all night to clean up the acid spill.

Denver Fire Dept. spokesman Phil Champagne says he's unsure how much was spilled.

The driver was hauling 10 drums of sulfuric acid, each with 150-200 gallons of the corrosive chemical, or 38,000 lbs. .It had a concentration of 96 percent.

Colorado Department of Transportation spokeswoman Stacey Stegman says one container was leaking. Emergency workers estimate about 200 gallons leaked.

The driver got out safe, and firefighters got her dog out safe, too. Crews were concerned about people having contact with the acid or breathing in its fumes.

"We're lucky with the wind. It's blowing it out of the area, not letting pockets form. The main concern now is people contacting it because it can eat through metal," said Champagne.

Some of the acid did flow into storm drains on the highway.

Champagne said the Environmental Protection Agency and the Office of Emergency Management were notified about the spill.