Canada geese near New York City airport to be captured and fed to the poor

FTA Hacker

New York City seems to have found a solution to its pesky Canada geese problem: kill them and ship them to Pennsylvania to feed the poor.
New York City has a solution to its pesky Canada geese problem. The birds, which have become a major hazard to planes departing the area's airports, will be captured and transported to Pennsylvania and served as meals to the poor.
We can all recall U.S. Airways flight 1549 making a dramatic emergency landing in the Hudson River in January of 2009. Officials from the National Transportation Safety board positively identified the remains of a flock of Canadian geese in the engine as the culprit. Though Pilot Sullenberger skillfully and heroically avoided a major catastrophe, officials don't want to risk future encounters between the birds and jet airliners.
So what has the big city done with such a fowl problem? Not wanting to appear wasteful, New York City's own Department of Environmental Protection has approved a measure to round up the geese, ship them off, and serve them to the poor in neighboring Pennsylvania. In the minds of the altruistic powers at be, this act of goodwill kills two birds with one stone: feeding the poor while avoiding landfill waste.
Now before your inner animal rights activist comes raging out, let's take a moment and consider the options. Since it's impossible to have a conversation with the geese and simply ask them to move to another less hazardous area to occupy (believe me I've tried and I only got honked at), forcible relocation seems to be the only plausible solution. But Canadian geese instinctively return to the same site where their parents nested year after year, so culling proves to be a viable option. The city, after all, wants to place the utmost value on human life and safety.
That being said, I find it particularly distasteful that officials have decided to serve the goose meat to the poor. Ask yourself, would you eat an animal that has survived by rummaging the grounds of New York City? I've lived in New York City, and believe me, I wouldn't want the contaminants of that environment to enter my food chain.
Even New Yorkers don't seem to want the poultry for themselves. Officials were unable to find any places in New York willing to take the geese as donations. But since Pennsylvania had already established a protocol for processing and distributing geese, the meat will be taken to an undisclosed slaughterhouse and distributed from there. Since the state is being rather hush-hush and unwilling to name the slaughterhouse, I imagine that the recipients of the goose meat will not know exactly where their dinner came from.
But I will give the people in charge of this nameless slaughterhouse the benefit of the doubt, and assume that the meat will be very, very carefully inspected since, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Canadian geese in urban areas are known carriers of E. Coli, parasites, and noxious weeds.
So, here's my question: if there is no real issue with food safety, then why isn't the city packaging and selling the meat to consumers? And ok, if New York State doesn't have the facilities to process goose meat, then why don't they use the same nameless Pennsylvanian facility to process, package, and ship the poultry out for sale? Perhaps it's because no one would want to knowingly eat something that ate something off a New York City street.

Comment by reader:

The Canadian Geese are a protected species not to mention Canada's National Emblem. . Perhaps we Canadians should take the US's National Emblem the Bald Eagle and start distributing it's meat to feed the poor. USA is exempt from war crimes, why because they say so. Well what gives you the right to to destroy our geese, remember they were here first not the FREAKING AIRPORT! The US should be charged to the full extent of the law, the arrogance of them to think they are beyond and above the law. They walk around this hold planet do what they do and never to be held accountable. It's digusting..