Chavez dethrones Zbik for middleweight title

EVILONE

capt.photo_1307251744342-1-0.jpg

Mexico's Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr dethroned Germany's Sebastian Zbik by majority decision to seize the World Boxing Council middleweight title in a showdown of unbeaten fighters.

Chavez Jnr improved to 43-0 with one drawn on judges scores of 115-113 and 116-112 while the third judge scored the bout a 114-114 draw.

Chavez secured his first world title in the same city where his father, a three-division world champion set to be inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame next week, captured his first world title back in 1984.

"I will have to fight a long time and win many more titles to be the equal of my father," Chavez Jnr said.

"I would like to win more titles and create an excellent career, but there are no shortcuts or easy roads to victory."

Zbik, in his first pro fight outside Europe, fell to 30-1. He had not fought since last July, when he took a unanimous decision over Argentina's Jorge Sebastian Heiland at Hamburg.

Chavez plans to make the first defense of his crown against Argentine southpaw Sergio Gabriel Martinez, 47-2-2, in October at Las Vegas.