Izzard finds his kind of role in Showtime's 'Tara'

CASPER

Eddie Izzard says he'll never abandon stand-up, but he's looking for more than laughs as an actor.

Izzard decided to guest star in a multi-episode arc on Showtime's "United States of Tara" this season, because of the show's complexity.

"I normally try not to do comedies, but it's a dramatic comedy, a drama with a comedic edge. There seem to be two different types of comedies that exist these days. I thought, `Let's go do it,'" he said.

"United States of Tara," which airs 10:30 p.m. EDT Monday, stars Toni Collette as a suburban wife, mom and troubled host to multiple personalities. Izzard plays a professor who meets Tara when she decides to finish her college degree and signs up for his abnormal psychology class.

The professor's doubts about the authenticity of her diagnosis begin to waver when he sees Tara's startling alter egos emerge.

He's a complex character to explore, Izzard said.

"This guy is a broken genius. He's brilliant but has (erred) in his past, and that's why he's teaching in Kansas. I thought I could tap into that, someone who thinks that he's brilliant but the world says is not brilliant."