Japanese soup company considers P.E.I. plant

No Warranty

Scammer hater
Representatives from a Japanese soup company are on P.E.I. looking into the possibility of setting up a fish processing plant.

Kisco Foods has been buying frozen lobster bodies from Canada for 10 years and importing them to Japan to make broth.

"People don't use the body or the head. This is very good for making soup, so this is very important for us," company president Shinya Kuze told CBC News Tuesday.

Kuze was in Abram-Village with one of his company chefs inspecting the Acadian Fisheries Co-op in Abram-Village as a potential supplier of lobster bodies. But this could turn out to be a short term solution. He's exploring the idea of processing the raw product in Canada, possibly on P.E.I.

"We import the whole body from Canada to Japan. This is not efficient for making product, because Japan is very expensive," said Kuze.

Kisco Foods does about $25 million a year in sales, but it's a subsidiary of a much larger corporation.

The recent nuclear disaster in Japan, and resulting contamination of a section of the country's coastline, has added new impetus to finding foreign sources of food.

"People don't want to buy domestic products," said Kuze.

"Business is trying to find better product through foreign countries."

Kuze and his chef were not the only representatives of a foreign company at the Acadian Fisheries Co-op on Tuesday. Agents from the UK were also in the plant, looking for a replacement supplier. They had previously been buying product from the Ocean Choice plant in eastern P.E.I., which did not reopen this spring.