Noel Gallagher goes solo, recalls Oasis split

CASPER

Noel Gallagher unveiled plans on Wednesday for his first solo album, and recalled the day in Paris two years ago when rock band Oasis broke up amid violent scenes involving his brother and lead singer Liam.

The 44-year-old former lead guitarist and principal songwriter for Oasis, told reporters that he would release his debut solo disc "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds" on October 17 and a second, complimentary album, in 2012.

The choice of which song he would release as a single had yet to be decided.

Asked to compare the music on the new album with that of Oasis, arguably Britain's biggest band of the 1990s with total album sales estimated at around 70 million, he replied:

"The main difference is there's no guitar solos (on the new record). There's a guitar solo on two tracks and one of them I didn't play. You'll like it. You'll think it's brilliant.

"The songs are not Oasis songs. It's not stadium rock. There's an electric kettle in there, for crying out loud. When I write a song I'm not thinking ... I have to do something different because of what I've done in the past.

"The first track you are going to hear doesn't sound like anything I've ever done before. That's not a conscious thing it's just the way the songs were written."

Gallagher said he would tour with the new music before its release, sticking to relatively small venues.

The song titles on the 10-track album include "Everybody's on the Run," "Dream On," "If I Had a Gun ..." and "The Death of You and Me." It will be released through his own record label Sour Mash Records.

Gallagher recorded the new material in 2010 and 2011 in London and Los Angeles.

THAT PARIS PUNCH-UP

The Gallagher brothers are almost as famous for their public bust-ups as they are for their musical collaborations, and their strained relationship finally snapped in 2009 as they prepared to play a Paris gig.

Younger sibling Liam, who went on to form Beady Eye with most of the Oasis lineup, has been the more outspoken of the two, but Noel gave his side of the break-up story on Wednesday.

He recalled the build-up to the infamous Paris split, saying Liam had pulled out of a gig at the last minute "because he had a hangover," and wanted to advertise his own private merchandise for free in Oasis programs while on tour.