Soldier honoured on Parliament Hill

Scammer

Banned
[video]http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2011/01/08/ottawa-soldier-honoured.html[/video]

A Canadian soldier who amazed doctors by walking again after losing both legs and the proper use of one of his arms in Afghanistan was honoured in Ottawa Saturday.

Master Cpl. Mike (Megatron) Trauner, of Sudbury, Ont., was given the To The Top Canada Award at a ceremony on Parliament Hill.

Trauner was injured in an improvised explosive device blast near Kandahar in 2008. His vital signs disappeared twice during emergency surgery, but he survived to deal with a slew of broken bones, and legs that had to be amputated at the knee.

Less than a year after the explosion, Trauner finished a five-kilometre walk without a wheelchair. He now works to help other soldiers cope with serious injuries like his.

"I never feel like I want to quit," Trauner told CBC News Saturday.

"I come from an infantry battalion … the motto is that you never quit, you never leave a man behind, so a little bit of that is still in me."

Trauner was nominated for the award — given each year to a Canadian who makes the country better by accomplishing their goals — by a Pembroke, Ont., student.

The award was started seven years ago, and is marked with the gift of a trophy fashioned from a snowshoe.