500 Lb lady gets 2nd chance

Scammer

Banned
Wheelchair_wish_comes_3b8f6035-cc9b-4d30-bc5e-adb103a6bced0000_20101223185029_320_240.JPG

Wheelchair wish comes true

Yes, Paula — there is a Santa Claus.

A Central Toledo woman called FOX Toledo’s Santa phone bank earlier this week, doubting a call to Kris Kringle would get her anywhere.

But Paula Mathis found out differently less than 48 hours later, as the jolly old elf paid her a visit, along with some generous helpers.

The 54-year old, 500-pound diabetic patient had but one Christmas wish: to become mobile again, her wheelchair sitting idle in a corner, broken. Paula didn’t have the money for an expensive fix.

The situation left her unable to get out of her apartment to go exercise classes, so she can lose the weight doctors say may save her life.

Two days before Christmas, Santa and some helpers showed up to fix her frustration, and restore her faith. Santa gave Paula a hug, but he had a whole lot more love following him in the door: two workers from Patriot Products, who wheeled in a temporary replacement: a special bariatric push wheelchair, so Paula can go to her niece's Christmas dinner.

"This is a blessing, oh my goodness," she said as they arrived in her apartment.

"You can use that to help you get around and you can keep it until I get your chair fixed," said Dan Martin, service manager of Patriot Products.

"I got my wheels and it's comfortable and I can actually go again!" screamed Paula with joy, as she tried out the wheelchair.

Martin openly admitted her joy and appreciation brought tears to his eyes, too.

"I got a little touch to my eye here-- she's a sweet woman,” he said. “We're going to do whatever it takes to get it fixed."

"I feel loved. I know there's somebody who cares about me and it makes me feel good to know," said Paula, once the shock wore away a bit.

Paula admitted she may not make it to see another Christmas without losing weight, but now she'll make it a whole lot farther.

"I can go back to my water therapy, I can go back to my diabetic classes, I can go everywhere because I was helped by somebody who didn't even know me," she said, tears flowing freely.

"I'm so very happy. Thank you all so much," Paula told Santa. "Thank you to you and I'll never ever doubt Santa again-- cookies and all!"

Paula won't have to pay for her wheelchair repairs, thanks to some generous elves-- including the Ability Center, the Pharmacy County and a viewer who knows what it's like to be without her walker.