Airplane parts falls from the sky in Rush County

Scammer

Banned
RUSH COUNTY, Ind. - Federal authorities are on the way to Rush County because of what two farmers found in two fields in the last two days. Jim Bob Smith and his two boys have farmed for decades in Rush County.

"I run the grain cart and he was dumping in and all of a sudden he had to stop because there it was. It was buried in the beans pretty much," said farmer Jim Bob Smith of Rush County.

What they found harvesting soybeans is a first. Jim Bob admits, "I thought who threw this junk out here in the field?"

His son, Greg Smith, said he noticed it in the field and moved it.

“I didn't know what it was at first but then figured out it was an airplane part,” Greg said.

Where the plane parts fell is in rural Rush County where there is nothing but fields and open sky for miles. So, it would be easy for something to fall out of the sky and not be seen for months. The soybeans were three feet high which easily makes a cloud of cover for the missing plane part.

For now, it's in the custody of Indiana State Police at Davis Towing. It's evidence waiting for the Federal Aviation Administration to pick up Thursday morning.

"I arrived on the scene, contacted the FAA, they asked me to take pictures and secure it and that's what I did," ISP Trooper Mike Ooley said.

Less than a mile away in another field — this one a corn field — another part of the plane was found. The farmer says he didn't see it shadowed by the corn. He ran over it and it flipped mid-air up onto the combine. He didn't think much about it because he says it's a busy season, so he put it in his barn.

The parts appear to have been hidden in the fields two months to the day. On Aug. 12, AirTran Flight 807 left Indianapolis for Baltimore. Just 20 miles out the pilot of the Boeing 717, Flight 807 realized part of his left engine cover was missing. The plane made a precautionary landing in Dayton, Ohio. There were 48 passengers and five crew members on board.

Even with a busy harvest in the fields, Jim Bob says he knows what all the talk will be in the morning at the small town coffee shop.

"I guarantee it's going to be about this airplane part, I guarantee you,” Jim Bob said. “That's where we learn all the worldly news, right in there at the coffee shop."

Indications are this came from an AirTran flight. The FAA will pick up the plane part from Davis Towing Thursday morning. The second part will be turned over to the sheriff and state police Thursday morning.