Biden counsels Iraqi leaders on democracy

A

AALARD

Biden counsels Iraqi leaders on democracy
BAGHDAD, (UPI) -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden told Iraqi officials Sunday night in Baghdad the United States won't abandon them as Iraq builds its democracy.

Speaking at a Fourth of July reception at the Embassy compound, Biden encouraged the Iraqis to put aside personal interests for the common good and form a stable new government.

"I just wanted to make it clear I'm not lecturing, I'm not imparting any great wisdom that you don't already know," Biden said. "But the concept of subordinating your individual interest is fundamental to the success of any nation. And it's enshrined in the immortal words of a famous American revolutionary leader who said, 'United we stand; divided we fall.'

Toward that end, he said, all segments of Iraq's population must be given voices in its government.

"Iraqiyya, State of Law, Iraqi National Alliance, the Kurdistan Alliance -- all are going to have to play a meaningful role in this new government for it to work, in my humble opinion," the vice president said.

He also said Iraq must stand guard over its own self-interests and that the United States has "no hidden agenda."

"You should not -- and I'm sure you will not -- let any state, from the United States to any state in the region, dictate what will become of you all," he said. 'We have nothing more than to want you to grow as an independent, prosperous democracy. That will benefit our interest more than anything that else could happen in the region."