Case quits Hawaii congressional primary

A

AALARD

Case quits Hawaii congressional primary
WAIKIKI, Hawaii, (UPI) -- Former U.S. Rep. Ed Case, D-Hawaii, said Sunday he will drop out of the Democratic primary campaign for a congressional seat captured by a Republican last week.

Case, who faced off against fellow Democrat Colleen Hanabusa and Republican Charles Djou in the May 23 special election to fill the seat vacated by the retirement of Democratic Rep. Neil Abercrombie, issued a statement Sunday saying it was a difficult decision but he is withdrawing his candidacy for the Democratic nomination in the general election in November

"My heart tells me to stay in this fight, but my head says this has become the wrong fight," Case said.

Djou won the special election and will serve the remaining portion of Abercrombie's term. Abercrombie resigned in December to focus on his campaign for governor.

Case announced his decision Sunday at the state Democratic convention in Waikiki, the Honolulu Advertiser reported. Hanabusa -- the state Senate President who split the Democratic vote with Case in the special election -- joined him on stage at the convention, the newspaper said.

Many national Democrats backed Case in the special election, regarding him as more electable than Hanabusa, the newspaper said.

Djou issued a statement saying the prospective matchup between him and Hanabusa offers voters in the traditionally Democratic district "a clear choice in November between the status quo and new leadership for Hawaii."