Edmonton homicide was domestic violence: Police

Scammer

Banned
Edmonton Police confirmed late Thursday that the city's latest homicide might be a case of domestic violence.

A middle-aged woman was found by police around 4 p.m. Wednesday after they were called to a residence near 40th Avenue and Millbourne Road West. Since then a 59-year-old man has been arrested and charges are pending.

The woman's name will not be released until an autopsy is completed later on Friday.

But acting police chief David Korol said he believes it is the first case of domestic violence to turn deadly so far this year.

At a special presentation by the Domestic Offender Crimes Section Thursday night, Edmonton police officials said one murder as a result of domestic violence has occurred so far in 2011, compared with three in 2010 and two in 2009.

When pressed to comment on which 2011 death was related to domestic violence, acting chief David Korol confirmed that it was Wednesday's incident.

"I believe the most recent," he said. "I'm not 100-per cent certain, but I believe it may be that one."

In all, there were some 6,700 cases of domestic violence reported in the Edmonton area last year and about the same number the previous year.

And Staff Sergeant Mike Bartkus said it's a major problem.

"It happens everywhere and anywhere," he said. "Every family has risk."

Bartkus said the introduction of its domestic offender section has helped police make headway by gaining the trust of more victims.