Filming ends for Almodovar, Banderas collaboration

CASPER

Oscar-winning director Pedro Almodovar has finished filming his first collaboration in decades with fellow Spaniard and Hollywood actor Antonio Banderas, his producer said on Friday.

"The Skin I Inhabit," described as an intense drama with an eclectic mix of elements typical of Almodovar -- ranging from film noir to science fiction and terror -- will hit Spanish cinema screens in September, production company El Deseo said.

"My films have always been difficult to pigeon-hole regarding genres, because I like to mix them up," the "Volver" director said in a statement.

The low-budget movie, inspired by French writer Thierry Jonquet's 2003 novel "Tarantula," is the first Almodovar offering to star Antonio Banderas since "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" in 1990.

It co-stars Spanish actress Elena Anaya, of "Room in Rome" fame and was filmed around Spain, from the capital Madrid to the northwestern region of Galicia.

Banderas began his acting career under Almodovar's guidance in the 1980s and later gained an international following for Hollywood blockbusters like "Evita" and "The Mask of Zorro."

Almodovar has won two Academy Awards. He won one Oscar for Best Writing, Original Screenplay for 2002's "Talk to Her" and an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film with 1999's "All About My Mother."