Grey Cup ring stolen during assault

Scammer

Banned
84greycupring.jpg

A 1984 Grey Cup ring, similar to this one, was stolen from a man's finger during an assault and robbery in Winnipeg on Monday.

A 1984 Grey Cup ring presented to former Winnipeg Blue Bomber Dan Huclack was stolen during a violent robbery in the city on Monday.

Huclack, who played fullback for the Bombers from 1980 to 1984, was walking near Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre on McDermot Avenue near Sherbrook Street just before noon when he was approached from behind by two men.

Huclack says the pair demanded money and kicked him in the groin. He gave them $40.

"And then they kicked me again in my privates and I went down on the ground. And when I went down my hand stuck out. And when my hand stuck out they saw the ring on my finger and grabbed the ring and took off."

The 53-year-old was treated for minor injuries.

The ring is described as gold in colour with a diamond on the top and a blue background. Inscribed on the ring is "Score 47-17, Number 30, Position FB."

The Blue Bombers defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 47-17 in that 1984 CFL championship game.

Huclack's son, Cory, won a Grey Cup ring of his own in 2009 with the Montreal Alouettes. The junior Huclack now plays for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who are facing the Alouettes in this weekend's Grey Cup final.

One of the attackers in Monday's incident is described as 21 to 23 years old, about five feet 10 inches tall with a skinny build, short black hair and a slight moustache. He was wearing a red-and-black-checkered jacket.

The other is described as 28 to 31 years old, about six feet four inches tall with a heavy build. He was wearing a black hat, jeans and a grey jacket.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact police at 204-986-6668 or Crime Stoppers 204-786-TIPS (8477).