Heart transplant recipient leads PGA event

A

AALARD

Heart transplant recipient leads PGA event

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va., Erik Compton, twice the recipient of a new heart, shot the lowest round of his PGA Tour career Thursday to share the first-round lead at The Greenbrier Classic.

Compton, playing on a sponsor's exemption, shot a 7-under 63 over the Old White course at the Greenbrier Resort to tie rookie Matt Every. The opening round endured an 80-minute weather delay, but the entire field was able to complete the first day of play.

Every equaled his career low on the tour and missed a 10-foot birdie putt on the final hole that would have given him the lead by himself.

Jeff Overton, George McNeill and Pat Perez were tied for third place at 64. Those at 65 included Brendon de Jonge, Charles Howell III, Aron Price, Matt Bettencourt and John Rollins.

Compton, 30, was diagnosed during his childhood with a disease of the heart muscle and underwent his first transplant at age 12. He went through another one in 2008.

"I'm not thinking about winning," said Compton, who continues to endure issues with his stamina. "I'm just thinking about one shot at a time and getting through the weekend.

"In some aspects, I look at myself as an old guy. I also look at myself as a young guy in a career playing golf."

His previous low round on the tour was a 67 in the opening round of the Mayakoba Classic in February.

Compton has played six times on the PGA Tour this year, along with two starts on the European Tour and one on the Nationwide Tour. He gained attention this season by qualifying for the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach, where he shot 77-81 and missed the cut.

"Some guys miss six, seven cuts in a row and then win," he said. "I know I'm a good player and I have a lot of the adversity in front of me (to become fully eligible to play on the tour). But I always feel like if I stick in there and keep trying, something eventually good is going to happen."