Laraque goes from NHL to Green Party

A

AALARD

Laraque goes from NHL to Green Party

MONTREAL, Former NHL player George Laraque is one of two new deputy leaders of Canada's Green Party, the environmental political party announced Saturday.

Laraque was named to a deputy post along with Adriane Carr.

Laraque, 33, known as one of the toughest players in the league during his 11 years with Montreal, Edmonton, Phoenix and Pittsburgh, made no bones about the fact he didn't like it when the Canadiens let him go in mid-season. But he told Postmedia News it turned out to be "the best thing that could have happened."

"I believe that everything happens for a reason," the hockey enforcer-turned-vegan environmental activist.

Laraque joined the Green Party, headed by Elizabeth May, in February. He said he doesn't expect to run for office any time soon but doesn't rule out the possibility some day. Instead, he says he will focus on issues that concern him, such as health and the environment.

"At the end of the day, all I want is for us to be all together to do what's best for the environment," he said.

May called him "committed and passionate" who represents "vitality and health."

"Georges is a not traditional politician and that's why he's my deputy leader," May said. "People who have decades of experience in politics are not exactly getting Canadians turned on to getting involved in elections."