MLB=Hall finalizes $3.25 million deal with Astros

CASPER

HOUSTON – Bill Hall doesn't like to be called a utility player.

After finalizing a contract with Houston on Monday, he can shed that title and be known as the Astros' starting second baseman.

Hall received a $3.25 million, one-year contract from Houston that includes a $4 million mutual option for 2012. General manager Ed Wade said Hall, who spent last season with the Boston Red Sox, will play regularly at second base.

Hall played several positions last season, but spent the most time at left field, where he appeared in 55 games with 42 starts, and second base, where he had 51 appearances with 38 starts.

He's excited about the chance to play one position after bouncing around for most of his career.

"I've always said I'm really good at a lot of positions, but if I concentrate on one then I could be great," he said. "So that's my goal going into this season is to become a great second baseman and play as hard as I can."

Hall, who turns 31 on Dec. 28, hit .247 with 18 homers and 46 RBIs last season. He has hit .250 with 122 homers and 425 RBIs in a nine-year career, mostly spent with Milwaukee.