NHL=Devils fire MacLean, bring back Lemaire

CASPER

capt.1d3ebe18a7624114a3cf1e8b2663dd7f-1d3ebe18a7624114a3cf1e8b2663dd7f-0.jpg

NEWARK, N.J. – Facing the prospect of missing the playoff for the first time since 1997, the New Jersey Devils fired rookie coach John MacLean on Thursday and brought back the firm hand of Jacques Lemaire to try to salvage the season.

The Devils have been one of the most disappointing teams in the NHL this season. New Jersey is tied with the New York Islanders for the fewest points in the league with 20 in 33 games (9-22-2). Their 59 goals also are the fewest.

The 65-year-old Lemaire is expected to coach the team Thursday night against the Islanders.

"It's a decision that certainly is not one that's pleasant or we feel good about," Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But it's a decision that, in my opinion, had to be made."

Lamoriello made the decision two days after the Devils dropped a 5-1 decision to Washington for their third straight loss and eighth in nine games this month. The Devils have been outscored 15-3 in the last three games.

"I take responsibility for waiting and trying to get it to where it should have been," Lamoriello said. "Under no set of circumstances should all of this responsibility be placed on (MacLean). The responsibility lies on the players and myself for what couldn't be done. Unfortunately, we just weren't getting it done."

A perennial contender in the Eastern Conference, the Devils were expected to be among the leaders again this season after re-signing All-Star forward Ilya Kovalchuk to a 15-year, $100 million contract in the offseason.

Kovalchuk, however, has been a major disappointment with eight goals in 32 games. He was even benched a game by MacLean for undisclosed reasons.

While saying the firing was unfortunate, Kovalchuk expected the move.