Phillips putting 1-6 Cowboys in training-camp mode

CASPER

RVING, Texas – Wade Phillips is starting over.

After watching every game film from this season, plus several more from last season, Phillips concluded the Dallas Cowboys are 1-6 because of poor fundamentals. So he's putting them back in training-camp mode.

Phillips refused to specify on Monday what exactly that means. But he's bounced his plan off owner Jerry Jones and apparently has been told to go for it.

"Running, blocking, tackling, catching, covering, throwing — we're not as good as we were," Phillips said. "Every detail has to be covered. We have to be more precise in some of these things. I've said it before but we're going to stress it even more — not right, but exactly right."

Phillips is in his fourth season coaching the Cowboys, and his 34th year in the NFL, so it seems strange he could've let this happen or not have recognized it sooner. Fans are outraged he's still in charge after letting it get this bad.

Yet Jones is adamant about not changing coaches, even though this is easily the most disappointing of his 22 seasons in charge. Dallas was expected to contend for the championship, not the first pick in the draft.

"I don't worry about losing him, I worry about losing for him," Phillips said. "I feel bad for him because I think we should have been doing better."

Dallas has only two new starters from the group that went 11-5 last season, winning the NFC East and a playoff game. The Cowboys entered this season among the favorites to reach the Super Bowl, which happens to be played in their stadium.

Instead of being the last team standing, they're in jeopardy of being the first team mathematically eliminated. Only winless Buffalo and Carolina (also 1-6) are even close.

Despite it all, the Cowboys hadn't lost by more than a touchdown until Sunday, when they were crushed at home by Jacksonville, which came in 3-4.

Phillips' voice was lifeless following the game and he acknowledged being "fooled" by his club, out of answers and "distraught." That prompted his extended film session and grand re-evaluation.