Red Sox get All-Star Victor Martinez from Indians

CASPER

CLEVELAND (AP)—His No. 41 jersey hanging a few feet away, Victor Martinez(notes) sat stunned in front of his locker in Cleveland’s clubhouse—for the last time. He squeezed his young son to his chest and wiped tears from both of their faces.

The moment he feared, the one he wasn’t prepared for, had arrived.

Martinez had been traded by the Indians, the team that signed him as a 17-year-old shortstop in Venezuela, nurtured him and watched him develop into an All-Star.

It was time to go to Boston, to help the Red Sox try to win another pennant.

“It’s tough because I’m leaving my house,” he said, his voice choked with emotion. “This was my house. It’s really tough.”

Shortly before Friday’s trade deadline, the Red Sox got the big bat they needed by acquiring the versatile Martinez from the rebuilding Indians for right-hander Justin Masterson(notes) and minor league pitchers Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price.

Martinez, who had spent his whole career with Cleveland, cried after being told by general manager Mark Shapiro that he been traded. Earlier in the day, with rumors of a deal heating up, his 4-year-old namesake asked his dad, “Are we still an Indian?”