SkyFILES: A Multiplatform DNC

CASPER

SkyFILES: A Multiplatform DNC

by Michael Hopkins

When I first heard that the Democratic National Convention was coming to my hometown, my first inclination was to get out of the city.

Unfortunately, the rest of the editorial staff had the same idea, and departed Denver before I could mutter the words "time off." So, I'm making the best of the DNC experience, watching most of the events from my computer, nine miles away from ground zero, which is the Pepsi Center, while running the editorial fort.

I managed to make it downtown for a pre-convention visit with my family. On Saturday, we took in the sights … armies of police officers in riot gear, other families gawking at that massive police response, and a few protesters. There was some disappointment in the number of protesters … there were more black helicopters than scruffy individuals targeting the DNC and its delegates. No free entertainment for the kids here. As the convention approached its final day, however, those protest numbers appeared to be growing.

And there was a multiplatform presence within central Denver. Part of my family's Saturday trip was a visit to the traveling "Presidential Experience," offering glimpses into the presidency past and present. C-SPAN had its roving election bus at the exhibit. (That picture shows the Hopkins family entering a life-size replica of Air Force One at the event.)

We saw the MSNBC studio near Union Station. The Daily Show from Comedy Central aired from the University of Denver.

Al Jazeera, the news network based in the Persian Gulf nation of Qatar, set up shop - of all places - in a biker bar located in the Western suburb of Golden, the former home of MediaBiz.

At first, the city, known for Coors beer, the final resting place of Buffalo Bill and some terrific mountain biking, rolled out the welcome mat to the Arabic news source and its English-language channel. But then city officials quickly pulled the rug from underneath those working for the network after a few folks (inside and outside the Golden city limits) complained about giving a platform to the at-times controversial programmer.

Despite the knee-jerk reaction from city officials, the staff at Al Jazeera managed to obtain an invitation to a BBQ held by Golden residents. Those working for the programmer were exposed to some hometown cooking … and the unfortunate ignorance of some thickheaded individuals who can't figure out there are other news outlets besides Fox.

Given that the DNC wrapped up Thursday night, I'm happy to see the politicians, protesters and delegates leave town. Next week is the Republican National Convention in St. Paul. I'm sure residents of the Twin Cities will enjoy the chaos created by black helicopters, protesters and the multiplatform industry.