How can I capture video from an old camcorder into my laptop?

thejollibengali

I have a very old camcorder, about 9-10 years old. I wanted to know how I can capture the video from it onto my laptop. What type of cable would I be using? I have captured video before using a firewire cable connected to my laptop and a newer camcorder, but what do I use for an old camcorder, that does not have any firewire connections? It only has connections for the AV wires. Is there any way to capture? Thanks in advance!

pmcc

does your new camcorder have an AV inout? (this is more likely with cannon models) If so then connect it to to the AV output on your older camerathen you can a) press AV in and then record on your new camcorder and play on you old camcorder to transfer the footage. orb) Connect both camcorders like above and then connect the new camcorder to your computer using a firewire connection and run the footage straight into your computer(this method might not be as reliable) If your new camera doesnt have a AV input but has a firewire input then you need something like a hollywood dazzle bridge