Does it has to be identical hard drive to form a raid 0?

karz

Because i have a new Seagate Barracuda 1.5Tb @ 5900 rpm, and i am wondering if i am able to raid 0 that with my old Seagate Barracuda 320Gb @ 7200 rpm?

snoflake404

No. A Raid-0 array, which has zero redundancy factor, is not affected by the size of the drives.If you were using a Raid-1, Raid-5, or Raid-6, then you would have to think about size.Hope this helps!

Ironfrunk

You should run any form of a RAID with identical hard drives.If you created any RAID with those two drives the size of your RAID array would be 320GB (unless you used JBOD). With JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) you get no speed improvement... just one giant virtual drive.So you would be wasting a lot of hard drive space by creating the RAID.Most OS' are limited to a 2TB size limit ever with RAID.To break the 2TB size limit you need the following:* Hardware RAID controller capable of 64-bit LBA addressing (for volume sizes greater than 2 TB).* Several hard drives to connect to the RAID controller to create a RAID array.* Drives must be configured in a RAID level 5 Volume Set.