Fergie backs United to sink Chelsea without Rooney

CASPER

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Manchester United have enough firepower to overcome Wayne Rooney's absence and defeat Chelsea in Saturday's crucial Premier League title showdown.

Rooney is missing for two to three weeks with an ankle ligament injury and will watch the first-versus-second clash from the directors box at Old Trafford.

The England striker has scored 26 Premier League goals this season and there are fears his loss could disrupt United's bid to retain the league title and win the Champions League.

But United manager Ferguson, whose team have a one-point lead over Chelsea, insists there are enough players capable of scoring in all areas of his side to combat Rooney's absence and keep the club on course for an unprecedented fourth successive title.

"I think there are goals there. I haven't got any doubt about that," Ferguson said on Friday.

"It's obviously a very big game and if one team wins it is a significant step forward for that team.

"If we win we go four points clear with five games left. If Chelsea win it's two points ahead of us with five games left. A draw - nothing changes. It will be very, very tight to the end of the season.

"As I've been saying for the last couple of weeks, goal difference may come into it.

"With Chelsea getting seven against Aston Villa last week, it turned the whole goal difference upside down after we had that nice advantage.

"There's only two goals difference between us and that can change in a couple of games."

While United have endured a traumatic week after losing to Bayern Munich in the Champions League together with Rooney's injury, Chelsea arrive at Old Trafford refreshed having enjoyed a blank midweek.

But Ferguson does not believe that will have any influence on the outcome.

"I think Chelsea will feel they have an advantage by having a week off," he added.

"Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you're better playing all the time. The continuity of playing and the consistency of performance...it's not a disadvantage to us."

Ferguson has backed Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti after the Italian came under fire following the club's Champions League exit.