Dark

I have been looking at getting a laptop that is good for running games but not too pricey, and the AMD Phenom II seems like a good quad core processor, but why is the processor speed so slow? Every processor i have looked at has a speed of like 1.6 or 2.1 ghz. Most duo core processors are faster than that. Why is this so?

Yangggdf Dfsdf

AMD laptop CPUs are inferior to Intel's. If you want a quad in a laptop, go for a Core i7 mobile. Most of them have a base clock frequency of 1.6 ghz, but they can run on 8 threads, and Turbo Boost will increase the clock speed of the CPU dramatically when needed

Aaron-Four

Im not sure about all the technical stuff, but I would have to agree that the Phenom II is a piece of junk. I bought one for my second gaming computer and it is soooooo much slower than my core 2 duo.

Zachy

Then the next thing I'd check would be possible malware infections. Regardless of what security products you are using, you shouldn't automatically assume you're free of infiltrations. What antivirus/antimalware software are you using? Is it up to date? When did you last perform full scans?

Yangggdf Dfsdf

I don't buy as many games as I used to since most have become shoddy console ports , but the ones I've been playing have been running great on my Phenom II N930 (TF2, BC2, FO3, ME2). Part of why they're so "slow" has to do with the architecture, the fabrication, and the TDP - Especially the TDP. They're 45nm process chips based on the previous Phenoms. If you look at the AMD quads, they range from 25 to 45W. You're not going to be able to clock them much higher than 2 GHz with 4 physical cores.Look at Intel's Core i quads and they're either 45W or 55W on a 32nm process - only the i7s are 45nm. They're designed to use more power. Even then, hardly any of the 45W chips run over 2 GHz. What makes the Core i vastly better than the Phenom II for heavy load programs is Turbo Boost and Hyperthreading. Thing is, Turbo Boost downclocks physical cores in order to overclock 1-2 cores higher. The Phenom IIs can't do that, but all 4 cores are still working at 2 GHz. It'll still get trounced by single or dual core only programs, but they can start holding their own with the multithreaded ones. The way I see it, these Phenom IIs are just a stopgap to keep AMD in some competition until they release their Fusion APUs.

Rainyday

im not sure if this is related but if you have an amd cpu that is about a year old and is getting really slow if you lightly torch it with a propane torch it brings it back to like new speeds