Anti-Nightclub Mayor Changes Sign To Say 'Not Opening Soon'

Scammer

Banned
Braddock Mayor John Fetterman Wants Club 804 Closed Permanently

[video]http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/r/25761601/detail.html[/video]

BRADDOCK, Pa. -- Video surveillance shows Mayor John Fetterman changing words on a sign outside a Braddock Avenue nightclub that he has labeled a nuisance and wants to shut down.

The sign in front of Club 804 said "Opening Soon Under New Management" until Fetterman altered it to say "Closed Not Opening Soon." Club owner Assim Chaudhry showed Braddock borough council members a video of Fetterman changing the sign.

"Two people shot here three weeks ago, and we have an ongoing series of violent instances that seemingly occur every time the club is open," Fetterman told Channel 4 Action News reporter Sheldon Ingram.

On Thursday, Fetterman acknowledged his actions and told Ingram that he thinks the club is "beyond a nuisance bar" and is "a cancer in the community." He wants the state Liquor Control Board to take the establishment's liquor license.

"I know that they have cameras there, and it was my way of putting them on notice," Fetterman said. "So it was a very public way that I chose to put them on notice that, hey, we're going to shut you down."

Chaudhry was not in when Channel 4 Action News went to his home in Cheswick for a comment on Thursday.

Two people were wounded in a drive-by shooting outside the club on Oct. 20. Fetterman was highly critical of the business after that, saying, "The owners are sleazy. It's toxic. It's just slimy all around."

Council President Jesse Brown told Ingram that he does not side with Fetterman. Brown said no violent incidents have occurred inside the building, although he acknowledged a citation for an underage drinking incident within the past three months.

"I don't see a reason for it to be shut down," Brown said. "I don't have any reason for it to be shut down."