Crown seeks life sentence for arson deaths

Scammer

Banned
A Winnipeg man who killed two people in a 2006 arson following a drinking party at a rooming house is facing life behind bars.

The Crown prosecution is seeking a term of life in prison for Howard Mason, 51, who used a lighter to set a couch on fire at an Elgin Avenue rooming house in 2006.

Dan Vaillant, 43, and Lavina Bradburn, 41, were burned beyond recognition after the fire spread through the home. They had to be identified through DNA.

Another victim suffered burns to more than half her body and needed 29 surgeries.

Mason turned himself into police a few days after the arson and told police he got angry and wanted to hurt people.

He was initially charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty to the lesser charges of manslaughter and arson causing bodily harm.

"He saw the couch on fire. He was there long enough. He said he saw it dripping and melting as it burned," prosecutor Sean Sass told the court Thursday during the sentencing hearing.

"He knew it was going. He didn't yell out. He simply left the building."

Mason's lawyer, Kathy Bueti, is seeking a sentence of double-credit for time served since his 2006 arrest, plus between six months and two years more time in prison.

Court heard that Mason has been accepted into a special program for high-needs offenders that would provide counselling, emploment opportunities and other rehabilitative opportunities upon his release.

"I don't think we're at the stage of last resort for Mr. Mason," Bueti told Justice Brenda Keyser.

Throughout the hearing, the tattooed Mason clutched an eagle feather.

"I ask for forgiveness," he said when he addressed the court. "From the family that's there [in court], for all the brothers and sisters down Main Street.

"I'm not happy I'm in jail. I'm a human being."

Mason has battled with addictions issues for most of his life, which was marred by sexual, physical and emotional abuse as a child, Bueti said.

Keyser has reserved the decision. No date has been set as to when she must return to render it.