'Don't ask' amendment wins House OK

A

AALARD

'Don't ask' amendment wins House OK

WASHINGTON, (UPI) -- The U.S. House approved a measure Friday that includes a provision to allow the Defense Department to repeal the ban on gays serving openly in the military.

The measure passed 229-186, with 26 Democrats voting against and nine Republicans in favor of repealing the 17-year-old "don't ask, don't tell" policy after the Defense Department scrutinizes it to ensure it would not weaken the military or hurt recruiting efforts.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., argued the bill would strengthen the armed forces, The Washington Post reported.

"'Don't ask, don't tell' has caused the dismissal of 13,500 men and women who wore our uniform with honor, put their lives on the line in service to us and this great nation -- and only asked to serve their country on equal terms," Hoyer said. "The military supports the repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell,' and I believe we ought to listen."

But Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga., said Democratic leaders "chose to use an opportunity to provide for our defenders of freedom as a convenient opportunity to shove through a repeal of the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy."

Friday's vote came hours after U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates told military members the repeal measure would allow a policy change only after thorough review by the Obama administration.

Calling the legislation a "deferred repeal," Gates said, "It would repeal 'don't ask, don't tell,' but only after -- I repeat, after -- the ongoing Department of Defense high-level review is completed and only after the president, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and I all can certify that we are ready to make this change without hurting unit cohesion, military readiness, military effectiveness, and recruiting and retention," Gates said in a recorded video message to service members.

Obama has long favored repeal of the law.