Lee wins in Phillies debut

CASPER

SAN FRANCISCO (AP)—Cliff Lee(notes) had no-hit stuff. He wasn’t exactly rooting for a no-no, however. Not just yet.

“I’m kind of glad I didn’t throw a no-hitter,” Lee said following a fabulous debut for the Philadelphia Phillies. “If I did that the first time, I’d have to live up to some high expectations.”

He spotted his fastball with precision, and his curveball, too. What a way for the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner to start his days in the National League.

Lee pitched a four-hitter, carrying a no-hit bid into the sixth inning and even adding two hits with the bat, and the Phillies felt an immediate impact two days after acquiring the left-hander from Cleveland, beating the San Francisco Giants 5-1 on Friday night.

“That was a good one, huh?” Phillies reliever Tyler Walker(notes) said, chuckling at Lee’s dominance. “Good trade.”

Jayson Werth(notes) homered to put Philadelphia ahead early and added a two-run single in the seventh, Raul Ibanez(notes) drew a bases-loaded walk in the seventh for an insurance run and Lee did the rest.