Liverpool family seeks help for suicidal daughter

No Warranty

Scammer hater
A father from Liverpool, N.S., says his family life has turned into a suicide watch for his daughter and he is desperately seeking help from the mental health system.

Bill Allen's daughter, Rhonda Connolly, was released from hospital last week after her sixth attempt at suicide. The first attempt was two years ago, following a broken relationship and bankruptcy.

While she has been hospitalized numerous times, Allen said it's difficult to know what really happens inside the hospital.

"Every time we try and talk to a doctor or a mental health worker or a health worker, 'We can't tell you because it's confidentiality.' That's her life, that's our child and you're not letting us have any information about it," he said.

Connolly, 39, lived a productive life for 37 years until she began her descent into despair.

"I want to be me, the me that I used to be," she told CBC News.

"I don't have any control, my mind takes over and it's like somebody else is making my decisions for me."

In numerous visits to the South Shore Regional Hospital in Bridgewater, Connolly had consultations with mental health professionals. But the family said those consultations were brief and superficial.

Paula Allen, Connolly's mother, said while her daughter was at a high risk to hurt herself, she was never properly assessed and was allowed to leave the hospital whenever she wanted.

"When she got home Sunday from the hospital she says, 'Mom, I don't want to be alone, I'm scared I'm going to hurt myself.' That's what she said and I don't know what to do," said Paula Allen.

"I feel like my hands are tied and I'm sitting here wondering, 'When am I going to get the body?'"

Earlier this spring, Connolly got into a seven-week treatment program at the Abbie J. Lane Memorial Building in Halifax. She stayed at a lodge at night and went home to Liverpool on the weekends.

Connolly attempted suicide during her first week of the program and made another attempt five weeks after she got out. She said it was a good program, but the wrong one for her.

"They work on, basically, your feelings. I have nothing but great things to say about that program, it's just maybe not the right timing for me because my mind was still not where it needed to be to get the benefits from the program," Connolly said.

"I'd sit there and I'd think about all the negative, how I'm going to be like this forever and I can't keep going like this and I everybody else around me can't keep going like this and it would be just better if I was gone."

The Allens said they are hoping publicity will guide them to help that they believe they have not been able to find. Connolly said she believes a residential program with more intensive therapy may help.

"If there is someone out there that can help me I want to say to them please help me," she said.

"I want to live, I want to see my daughter graduate, I want to see my kids have kids."