[Cool!] Lopez to defend featherweight title against Salido

CASPER

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP)—Undefeated and a knockout king, Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez enters a key bout Saturday night.

Lopez will defend his WBO featherweight title against Mexican Orlando Salido in what some believe is a critical fight in Lopez’s career.

The 27-year-old Lopez is 30-0 with 27 knockouts heading into the championship fight at the Ruben Rodriguez Coliseum in Bayamon

“I’m ready to go round for round with Salido,” Lopez said. “I will draw up an intelligent fight plan, always remembering my rival’s strengths and the work that I have to do to capitalize on his weakness.”

This will be the Puerto Rican’s third defense, the second consecutive one against a Mexican, in less than a year.

Lopez’s main focus is on Salido’s powerful right hand, which he uses to great effect in combinations to pave the way for his unorthodox left uppercut.

“I have to be concerned with his right hand all the time,” Lopez said. “He is quick about it and can be sudden when preparing for the left uppercut or jab, which I have seen him hit with great efficiency.”

Lopez topped the scale at 125 pounds, while the 30-year-old Salido weighed in at 126 pounds.

This is the first fight for Salido after losing a unanimous decision against Yuriorkis Gamboa in an effort to unify the WBA and IBF featherweight titles.

The powerful Mexican has had a long and impressive career with 33 victories and 11 losses. He also has had two draws and one no-contest.

Lopez won the WBO title in January 2010 when he knocked down champion Steven Luevano. He followed with an easy second-round knockout against Bernabe Concepcion six months later.

Following that win was a fight that many expected would be Lopez’s biggest challenge: a title defense against another Mexican, Rafael Marquez.

The fight ended when Marquez was unable to continue in the eighth round after complaining of a shoulder injury.

Salido’s career, meanwhile, has been marked by controversy, including allegations of illegal drug use. In November 2006, Salido tested positive for the steroid nandrolone following his IBF fight against Robert Guerrero in Nevada, and was stripped of his title.

Lopez has a 2-inch height advantage and appears quicker to the punch on both sides, according to veteran boxing analyst Orlando Marquez.

“Lopez is much quicker and faster than Salido,” he said. “The issue with Salido is that he has a puncher’s chance because he is very agile with his right hand.”

Lopez could employ a center-ring strategy to maximize his reach and height advantage over the smaller Salido. Any corner or rope action should favor the Mexican, according to Marquez.

“In the end, Lopez should come out on top with his better boxing technique,” Marquez said. “But we know Salido can take a beating and still fight.”