McNabb on benching: 'Coach makes decision'

A

AALARD

McNabb on benching: 'Coach makes decision'

ASHBURN, Va., -- Saying Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan "makes the decisions," quarterback Donovan McNabb was mostly quiet about the decision to pull him from the game Sunday.
Shanahan benched McNabb late in Washington's game Sunday at Detroit. Backup QB Rex Grossman was sent in and, on his first play, fumbled and had it returned for a game-sealing Lions touchdown.
Shanahan said Monday he didn't think McNabb, 33, was in the right physical shape to deal with the team's 2-minute offense. He cited various leg problems and that "it's really hard to do that when you haven't practiced it and if you haven't really put yourself out with any strenuous activities because of your hamstrings."
McNabb said Tuesday: "There's a difference between being hurt and injured. My team relies on me to be there. I want to be there for my team. If I can't walk, then I can't go. That's just the way I play.
"Coach makes the decisions. I can only say how I feel and what I feel is best (kept to myself)."
Shanahan said he expected to start McNabb at quarterback when the team plays Nov. 15 against McNabb's former team, the Philadelphia Eagles. The 4-4 Redskins have a bye this week.
McNabb has a 76.0 passer rating this season, having completed 57.4 percent of his passes for 1,971 yards and seven touchdowns. He's also been intercepted eight times and sacked 22 times.