Mentor Considers Daytime Curfew

Scammer

Banned
[video]http://www.fox8.com/videobeta/6f218cc5-80a1-4c3d-b493-51cb79a9bb45/News/Pay-It-Forward-Saving-Animals-is-Woman-s-Life[/video]

MENTOR, Ohio —
Students who play hooky in Mentor, could soon find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Under a daytime curfew now being considered by Mentor City Council, children between the ages of six and 17, who are anywhere other than school during school hours, can be picked up by police and taken to school or home. They could also be detained and cited for truancy.

City officials say the curfew crackdown is one of many efforts they've tried to keep kids in school.

"What I think this is intended to do is to address those kids who should be in school, who know they should be in school, but just leave, said Mentor City Manager Ken Filipiak. "And the school has had limited success with keeping those kids who just don't want to be there, where they should be."

Mentor parents who spoke with Fox 8 News, also support the idea of a daytime curfew enforced by the police.

"If kids are not in school, they're probably up to no good if nobody knows what they're doing", said Mary Richardson, "And they should be accountable."

Under the proposed curfew, parents who fail to properly supervise their children, could also face to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine.

At teen hang-outs like the Mentor Skate Park, the proposed curfew is viewed as another step by the government to intrude, prosecute and punish.

"I can understand saying, 'hey get back to school,' whatever, 'get back home' or something like that," said 18-year-old Chris Barr, "But actually charging them with an offense or something...no way."

"There's already enough rules around here as it is, you know, I don't think everybody should be stopped and asked questions. Like, this is America, we are allowed to do what we do. Like, it's the parents' concern about the child," skateboarder Nick Miller told Fox 8 News.

Mentor City Council is scheduled to consider the curfew ordinance later this month.