Mexico coach faces dilemma for next US match

CASPER

MEXICO CITY (AP)—One day after beating the United States in the Gold Cup final, Mexico coach Javier Aguirre already has a problem—figuring out who should play in next month’s World Cup qualifier against the U.S.

Aguirre played a largely “B” team in the Gold Cup, but the group performed better with each match and won 5-0 on Sunday for Mexico’s first victory against the U.S. on American soil in 10 years.

Only goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, striker Giovani Dos Santos, captain Gerardo Torrado and defender Jonny Magallon are likely to back up. And Magallon may only play if Barcelona’s Rafael Marquez does not recover from injury.

“I respect what is said or written,” Aguirre said after arriving home Monday. “But our objective of going to the World Cup with our best players is very clear. I don’t know if this will be the base. I have time to think about it and analyze. We’ll put out the players we think are best suited to getting three points off the United States.”

Not one American starter from Sunday is likely to be in the lineup to play Mexico on Aug. 12 at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. The U.S. has never won in Mexico.

Aguirre, like U.S. coach Bob Bradley, left most Europe-based players off the Gold Cup squad. The missing players included: Carlos Salcido and Javier Rodriguez (PSV Eindhoven), Ricardo Osorio (Stuttgart), Pavel Pardo (America) and Aaron Galindo (Guadalajara). Guillermo Franco (Villarreal) was also left off the team, but called up after Omar Arellano was injured.

“I remember having read—and I hated it—that this was a ‘B’ team. And now it might be the base,” Aguirre said.

Nestor de la Torre, the director of national teams, is expected to announce Wednesday the squad that will face United States. Aguirre said the team would have a week to practice together.

“It’s important the players are training together seven days before the match,” Aguirre said. “You must understand, this is more than a game. These are three very important points.”

Once the undisputed regional power, Mexico is struggling to reach next year’s World Cup in South Africa.

Midway through the final round of qualifying for the North and Central American and Caribbean region, Costa Rica leads with 12 points, followed by the United States with 10, followed by Honduras (7), Mexico (6), El Salvador (5) and Trinidad and Tobago (2).

The top three teams qualify automatically, and the fourth meets the fifth-place team from South America in a playoff for another berth.