NFL=Favre knocked out, Bears beat Vikes to win North

CASPER

capt.8577f986e822455ebe7fb90fa887e003-8577f986e822455ebe7fb90fa887e003-0.jpg

MINNEAPOLIS – Bundled up on the sideline in a heavy, gray coat, Brett Favre could only watch as Devin Hester and the Chicago Bears sped through the snow to the NFC North title.

Favre's surprise start ended with a concussion, perhaps putting him out for good, and the Bears spoiled Minnesota's first outdoor home game in 29 years.

Hester set the NFL record with his 14th kick return touchdown, running back a punt 64 yards for a score shortly after halftime to help the Bears fly past the Vikings 40-14 on a frosty, hard-hitting Monday night.

"You play long enough, you're going to get your bell rung," Favre said.

Jay Cutler threw for three scores for the Bears (10-4), who last won this division during their 2006 Super Bowl season. Hester caught one of Cutler's touchdown passes and also took back the second-half kickoff 79 yards to set up a field goal a few minutes before his game-breaking punt return made it 27-7.

That was Hester's 14th career return touchdown, kickoff or punt, breaking Brian Mitchell's previous mark.

"Don't dwell on this," Hester said. "It's the record-breaker, but there's going to be a lot more. I guarantee you that."

CASPER

Favre's latest start ends with concussion, loss

Brett Favre talked his way back into the starting lineup, hoping a snowy Monday night game would be just the setting he needed.

The 41-year-old got the hometown crowd roaring when he led the Minnesota Vikings to a touchdown on the opening drive, and all the ingredients were there for one last memorable Monday with Favre.

"I knew it was the last home game," Favre said afterward. "This also may seem kind of crazy, but I was looking forward to playing in a blizzard."

Instead, his surprising return ended all too quickly. Bears defensive end Corey Wootton slammed the quarterback to the frigid turf in the second quarter. Favre watched the rest of a 40-14 loss from the bench, his night, and perhaps his career, ended by a concussion.

Favre shrugged off a sprained right shoulder to start the game on Monday night, receiving a thunderous ovation from the crowd when he was introduced. Favre said he wanted to play one more time in front of the Vikings fans who have come to embrace him in his two seasons in purple.

"It made a lot of sense that, if this were the last game, to play it here in front of our fans," Favre said.

He went 2 for 2 on the opening drive, throwing a 23-yard touchdown pass to Percy Harvin to give the Vikings a 7-0 lead. Favre leaped on to guard Ryan Cook's back in the end zone to celebrate, but the fun ended quickly in the second quarter.

Wootton beat Bryant McKinnie off the left side and flung Favre to the turf. The quarterback stayed motionless for a few seconds before slowly rising and walking off with his head hung down. Favre's face was streaked with material from the artificial surface and he appeared dazed as he put on a jacket on the sideline.

He finished 5 for 7 for 63 yards with a TD and an interception. Favre has said several times this year that this will be his last season, and only two games remain, at Philadelphia and at Detroit. He didn't rule out playing again this season, but didn't sound as if he had much left, either.

"My last pass was just as much fun as my first one," Favre said.