Obama adresses Kalamazoo grads

A

AALARD

Obama adresses Kalamazoo grads
KALAMAZOO, Mich., (UPI) -- Kalamazoo (Mich.) High School graduates not only got their diplomas Monday, they got a handshake, a pat on the back and a pep talk from President Barack Obama.

After congratulating the high school for reaching the summit in his administration's Race to the Top Commencement Challenge, the president told graduating seniors going on to the next level will require more independent effort.

"No one's going to follow you around making sure you get up in the morning, and get to class or to your job, and get all your work done on time," Obama said. '"oing forward, that's all on you -- responsibility for your success rests squarely on your shoulders."

He offered them advice based on his personal experience.

"First, understand that your success in life won't be determined just by what's given to you, or what happens to you, but by what you do with all of that -- by how hard you try; how far you push yourself; how high you're willing to reach. Because true excellence comes only through perseverance," Obama said.

His second piece of advice, he said, is "a very simple one."

"Don't make excuses. Take responsibility not just for your successes, but for your failures as well," Obama said.

Obama quoted one of his predecessors in the Oval Office.

"I'm not saying you have to do all of this all at once," he said. "But, as Teddy Roosevelt once put it, I am asking you to 'Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.' And I can guarantee you that wherever your journey takes you, there will be children who need mentors, senior citizens who need assistance, folks down on their luck who could use a helping hand.

"In the end, service binds us to each other -- and to our communities and our country -- in a way that nothing else can. It's how we become more fully American."