Using Monitor filter or change mine to LCD monitor could be better for my eyes?

Pramuka

I'm sitting in front of the computer most of the day and still not using any filter to my CRT monitor.What could be better to prevent my pain in eyes? Using a filter to the CRT or changing my monitor to LCD one?

Bjorn

Changing from a CRT to an LCD for sure.CRT technology is harder on the eyes because it is basically a light gun that is shining directly at your eyes. Whereas LCD's use a much less intense light source and are MUCH MUCH easier on the eyes.I would go for an LCD that has an LED backlight. That would be even better because LED's are better for your eyes than the Fluorescent light that normal LCD's use.

Nick B

An LCD would be a little better on your eyes (unlike a CRT they don't shoot a ray directly into your retinas), the even backlights are very scalable and can be very easy on the eyes if they are set low. Before you take that route, there is another option you should consider. You can actually invert your screen colors, making the white areas black and the black areas white, etc. This would be better then any of the above mentioned options. It is pretty easy to do, but it varies from operating system to operating system. If you are using a imac, press control + alt + command + 8. If you are using a windows machine, the process varies. You can find out what to do by googl-ing "how to invert screen (operating system name)".This option also beats dishing out the 150-300$ for a nice lcd! (unless of course your work is fronting the bill :p )Of course, it wouldn't be bad to do both of these things either - getting an LCD then inverting your screenEdit* (forgot to mention)remember that if you do get rid of that CRT to recycle it properly and not throw it away. They contain cadmium and lead which are extremely toxic.... I think it's also illegal to just throw them away (but maybe thats just for businesses). I would hate for you to get into any trouble for something like that.

PoohBearPenguin

You're still using a CRT?If your CRT isn't capable of refresh rates at least above 76hz, then you should replace it.LCD doesn't have that same refresh problem, so there won't be any flickering. It's mainly this flickering that causes eyestrain.LCD also has a much brighter, crisper picture when sitting close, and isn't nearly as susceptible to glare because the outer screen of a LCD isn't made from glass, like CRT is.If your eyes are still giving you problems and you wear glasses, many eyeglass places can make glasses that use a special coating that is supposed to help reduce eyestrain when using a computer. Otherwise, every 15 minutes, you should look away from the screen and try focusing on an object that's far away (further than your arm's length at least) for a few seconds. This will help exercise your eye muscles and keep them from getting tired from just focusing at one length for so long.