What is a better processor to buy, AMD or Intel?

buckygoboom

I am looking to buy parts to build a new computer. I have a budget of about $15o for the processor. What should i go with, AMD or Intel?

tupacshomey420

AMD has always been my choice, the processors are more affordable but the multiple cores are something to look at depending on what you wanna do. Intel is more compatible with alot more motherboards since they are used more widely by companies who buy PCs in bulk. Im sure you can find something on craigslist cheap. Or buy a barebones kit from tigerdirect.com They usually have good stuff for cheap. Frys electronics (outpost.com) is a good place to shop too they have displays set up for you to compare motherboards since thats what has to go hand in hand with the CPU.

subOlimnuflik

If you had asked this question 3 years ago the answer would have been AMD but, for today and, the foreseeable future the answer is intel.

AMD is suffering financially as a company, and Intel is doing quite well. One can argue this is due to a stronger following towards Intel and their product, or perhaps the fact that Intel manages to get most of the deals that lock their processors into factory-made machines from large computer manufacturers.I've used computers with both brands of processors, and don't notice a significant difference in quality or speed between similarly-powered CPUs. You may wish to steer toward Intel, however, as AMD may run out of money and file chaper 11 bankruptcy. They'll still be in business, most likely, but their customer service may suffer as a result, if they end up firing hundreds of representatives to save money.Hope this helps!

James-007

With $150 an AMD Phenom II X3 720 would beat any Intel solution at that range. If you can get another $15 though an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 would be better though at most applications.