DeGeneres hosts TBS variety special

A

AALARD

DeGeneres hosts TBS variety special
LOS ANGELES, (UPI) -- U.S. talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres says she was happy to headline a fourth variety special for TBS because it allows her to stretch as a performer.

The popular comedienne, who lives in Los Angeles, taped "Ellen's Somewhat Special Special" in Chicago this month. The program is to air Sunday night on the cable television network.

In addition to the funny lady's standup routine, the show is expected to feature Kabuki and magic acts, and a performance by the country band Lady Antebellum.

Asked in the days leading up to the taping how she planned to prepare for the gig, DeGeneres told UPI in a recent phone interview, "Well, I'll have a smoothie in the morning and then I'll do some jumping jacks."

The 52-year-old Louisiana native went on to say much of the actual behind-the-scenes work of putting together a variety program is similar to what she does for her daily daytime chat show "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

"It's kind of the same as doing my show," she explained. "I have a group of people that scout, like some people went to Chicago to look at the best place for us to shoot our taped piece and we had about five different ideas. We have meetings about what we want to do and we come up with some really good ideas ... and we just keep whittling it down until we get to the strongest -- that can fit in that time frame and then we're writing material for between each one ... . It's like doing my show, but it's a lot more time. It's a lot easier for us because it's just this one time and we have more days to do it. So this is an easy gig as I have it."

The "American Idol" judge added that working on the TBS specials allows her to use different muscles when performing on stage before a large, live audience.

"Doing something once a year is fantastic," DeGeneres told reporters during the teleconference. "It's very freeing and I can put a lot of energy and attention into it and it's something I love doing. It's sort of why I took on 'Idol' when I have a full-time gig of my own with the talk show. I like stretching myself. I like challenging myself and I think it is important to … use another muscle. ... You can get very complacent if you do the same thing all the time and, especially as a comedian. It gives me different things to react to and respond to, and it stimulates me, and I love Chicago. I don't really get to travel unless I'm working. So this is a fun excuse to go to Chicago and it's a fun job that I have."