Can I get a wireless desktop card with a Linux Driver?

Olsen H

I am in London. I have installed Fedora 10 on my PC but can't get the belkin wireless G card to work. All the forum discussions speak in a language I just don't understand. Can I simply buy a new wireless card with a linux driver on a set up desk? Why does everything have to be sooo complicated?

Javier Santos

you have to be sure before you buy it that the hardware have the drivers for linux. Ask the vendor or look at the Belkin website if your card has the driver for linux.That's the way with linux, It works pretty well, but it's complicated to use it

Brien

Your wireless card probably needs the "ndis wrapper" installed. That is a way for a linux system to use drivers written for windows... I'd recommend trying to find a wireless card based on the intel chip-set. Support for Intel is built-in on the newer 2.6.28 and above kernels. (I don't know what fedora is using for a kernel...)Some distros, like ubuntu tend to make setting up things like ndiswrapper easier than others. You might try a "live CD", download and boot ubuntu (go ahead and get the 9.04 "beta", it has the newer kernels for sure, and is pretty stable, with the final release due out around the 24th of this month.) Boot the Live CD and see if it recognizes your network card automatically.The problem is the chipset manufacturers. If they would release the specs to the open source community that are needed to write the drivers, the open-source community would GLADLY write drivers for your network card, in a heart-beat. Intel works closely with the open-source community in most cases, allowing them to produce good, stable drivers for intel hardware.