Donut eating cop ad draws ire

Scammer

Banned
[video] Uproar Over Cops And Donuts Public Service Announcement -- WPIX[/video]

It isn't an anti-cop video.

It's a public service announcement from the East Hampton Town Police Department done in a tongue-in-cheek approach to combat drunk driving and portrays an East Hampton Town police officer eating doughnuts and trying his handcuffs on as earrings.

The message: When drinking, keep a cop bored by staying off the road, but not everyone is laughing.

"Having the public think that all cops do is sit out there and eat doughnuts all the time is not really a good impression of what officers do day in day out." said Nassau County PBA president James Carver.

The video is making the rounds on the internet, and many of his members have been offended by it.

East Hampton Town supervisor Bill Wilkinson said, "My only question was to the producer of the film was did he (the police officer) eat all the doughnuts or did the seagull eat the doughnuts?"

Wilkinson says he's proud of the PSA.

When asked about the stereotype he quickly responded "Oh stop, those of us whose skin is that thin should worry about other things."

Police chief Eddy Ecker said he approved the video and stands by it, saying "Like every department, East Hampton wants to be proactive in stopping drunk driving and anything we can do to get the public's attention we are going to do."

When Carver asked about the argument, that DWI is such a bad problem maybe the approach needs to change Carver responded "I think there are probably other ways to getting the message across without having handcuffs hanging from your ears and eating doughnuts."

Filmmaker Frank Vespe made the video in reaction to the recent rash of wrong way driving incidents.

He says the traditional approach just isn't working.

"I mean people don't want to hear don't drink and drive that has been going on for 20, 30 years people don't want to hear that if you make a twist people will take notice," said Vespe.