iuklja

Hi, im building a new computer and was wondering to use AMD or Intel. Im not planning on over clocking and im leaning towards a Crossfire graphics since SLI's software isnt that great right now. But would ya recommend a 3.2Ghz AMD A2 or a 3.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo? and other recomendations? im planning on using this for some games, and multimedia like movies and burning

Rupert ElToro

Both processors are about equal.The trick to the thing is the chipset you end up with. Do the research, we can probably agree VIA sucks, so you are looking at either a Nvidia chipset (with an AMD processor), or an Intel chipset (with an Intel processor).Personally I went with Intel because I want my computers to work with pretty well all programs "out of the box" (without having to fool with them).But to each his/her own.

Ron Burgundy

It's a toss up. There are many arguments for both, but after all, they are both simply processors, and all they really do is math. I've heard some say the an AMD is better for gaming, but I've used both and can't find any difference outside of price. I've always looked for mother board features first and then purchased the processor that the board requires. I believe that AMD's tend to run a little cooler, and that can be a factor. But in the end this is a pretty hard question to answer. It's kinda like comparing apples and apples. There are green ones and there are red ones, which color do you like best. Both processors are going to do a very good job for you, so if price is a factor in your decission, then go AMD.

msdz2000

My opinion is go with Intel now, AMD really doesn't show much promise at the moment. Intel is releasing the Wolfdale processors on the 45nm die and means less power consumption and less heat. Hold off till they release the Wolfdale dual core sometime in January 3.17Ghz for about $266. They already have some motherboards and one quad core processor out already. The QX9650 3.0Ghz and can be overclocked pretty easily to 4.0Ghz with little heat build up. Imagine what the dual cores will be able to do??? I read an article that they tested the Wolfdale dual core and overclocked it to 5.0Ghz with no problems!!! Plus DDR3 RAM is also available if you want the fastest computer you can get. Of course DDR3 is still expensive. Check out the chart and you can compare what AMD can do against an Intel processor at this site. Check it out against things you will be doing such as burning and watching movies and playing certain games. AMD doesn't come close to Intel. http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.htmlPick the processors you want.One other thing to keep in mind, most software and hardware you buy is more compatible with Intel.Go with Nvidia all the way, the 8800GT looks very promising and for the price SLI is on my list. I have ATI and have ran Crossfire. I am here to tell you ATI has got to get their act together with their drivers. A lot of games don't run correctly and removing one card helps but drivers are still an issue. I am constantly reinstalling drivers every 2 weeks. ATI support just tells me to keep doing that, a lot of good support there, huh? I have had Nvidia cards in the past and I had no problems at all from the card or the drivers. A lot of gamer friends also recommend Nvidia and will say that Nvidia has their act together better than ATI does. I also am a pretty hardcore gamer and am using AMD and ATI right now, plan on building a new computer myself in February and Intel and Nvidia are definitely going in it. One other thing to consider... Most games are designed around Nvidia cards(why most games have something that says "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played)!! The game was designed using Nvidia cards.

Anonymouse

I'd go with the Intel. Intels newer core 2 duo processors have been beating AMD's newest in benchmark results for a while now. For the best performance, the Intel would be a better choice. Although I'm not sure on the prices of the two, I remember the benchmark results being very close between the processors, if the AMD is cheaper it would probably be worth going with to save a little money since the performance wouldn't be noticeably lower. My only recommendation with the video card would be not to go with crossfire or sli. The amount of money spent on having more than one video card isn't worth it on the performance end. You spend double the money and only gain 20% more performance. I went with two video cards with my current computer and regret my decision now. I'd rather have that extra money I spent and just buy a new video card now. In my opinion, crossfire or sli is basically bragging rights with video cards, I wouldn't do it again. I'd just get a powerful single card. One other recommendation would be to get one of the 10,000 RPM raptor serial ata drives instead of a standard 7200 RPM hard drive. Maybe get one 150 GB 10,000 RPM drive and then another big drive that's 7200 RPM for storage. The 10,000 RPM drives cost a bit more, but the performance benefit is worth the little bit of extra money it costs to get one.

Freaky Boy

There's at least one of these threads on here a day. AMD is better for gaming imo. Intel is good if you're a big video editor or you like to multitask programs on your pc.