McIlory leads in Dubai; Woods is 4 back after 66

CASPER

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Tiger Woods surged into contention at the Dubai Desert Classic on Friday, shooting a bogey-free 6-under 66 in his bid to win his first tournament in more than a year.
With stellar putting and a consistent short game, Woods made six birdies for the day's low score. He was at 7-under 137 after two rounds, four shots behind leader Rory McIlroy.
McIlroy followed his opening 65 with a 68 to maintain his lead going into the weekend at Emirates Golf Club. The 21-year-old golfer from Northern Ireland earned his only European Tour victory at this tournament two years ago.
A shot behind at 10 under were Sergio Garcia (67) and South Africa's Thomas Aiken (67), followed by England's Steve Webster (68) at 8 under.
Woods was tied for fifth with Jean-Baptiste Gonnet of France, Anders Hansen of Denmark, Michael Hoey of Northern Ireland and Brett Rumford of Australia.
Woods, who has been outdriving his playing partners, No. 1-ranked Lee Westwood and No. 2 Martin Kaymer, added accuracy to his blistering drives and approach shots. And unlike Thursday when he missed several makable putts and hit approach shots wide of the green, the winner of 14 majors routinely gave himself chances.
"It felt good today. I hit a lot of good shots," said Woods, who likened his game on Friday to the way he played at last year's Chevron World Challenge, where he lost in a playoff to U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell.
"I felt like I drove it pretty good and more than anything I controlled my traj (trajectory), which was nice," he said. "I feel good. We worked out a few of the things last night that I didn't like."
McIlroy has struggled to meet expectations since winning the Quail Hollow Championship in 2009. He says his approaching his game with more patience this season, and it seems to be paying dividends — he finished second in last month's Abu Dhabi Championship.
McIlroy bogeyed the par-4 second hole then settled himself with five birdies over his last 12 holes, including the 18th for the second straight day.
"I thought after the start that I had, I really hung in there and stayed patient and just sort of picked up my birdies when I could," McIlroy said. "I think I was 5 under from 7 onwards. So, really pleased with the round, and sets me up for a good weekend."